All Meta Tags are not Useful

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mit, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mit Qdoos Contributor

mit
    A long time ago meta tags were the secret to SEO. Those days are gone. The only meta tag that really matters now is the description tag. Search engines may use it to provide the text under the link to your page in their results. Make sure it describes the page in a way that explains why a user searching for your content would want to look at your page.
    mit,
  2. Alan Qdoos Contributor

Alan
    Even the description tag isnt always used, Google doesn't use it. Some small/niche engines still refer to the keyword tag. The only tag recognised by all search engines is the robots tag, but if you use the robots.txt file there's no need to use this tag, ultimately for Google you don't need any, and the description only for Yahoo and MSN. I would still advocate the use of these, not using could be a missed SEO opportunity.
    Alan,
  3. mit Qdoos Contributor

mit
    Well, I can't fully agree with you on this that google doesn't use the description tag.

But yeah! I can understand, Google works on relevancy and gather information from the whole web page for the specific keywords searched for...
    mit,
  4. grishamist Qdoos Contributor

grishamist
    I agree. I get your point referring to "not fully agreed on description tag being thrown out by Google". In such ways, Google spider crawl them but it's not the priority of spiders now by which relevant keywords are the most important key searches.
  5. Hafsoh Qdoos Contributor

Hafsoh
    Yeah some search engines use the contents of the description tag to display the snippet of information about the page in the search results page.
  6. Beneploy New Member

Beneploy
    I think Google does not give any value on meta tags but live and yahoo gives some priority on meta tags.
  7. chronocommando New Member

chronocommando
    hello

Hi,
    How to put robots file in blog blogger? But if we put too long description its not good?
  8. chronocommando New Member

chronocommando
    Google does look for title i guess because it searches title also.!!:jimlad1:
  9. Web Click India New Member

Web Click India
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016