An easy trick for inflating a RSS feed subscriber's count

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by Midwest, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    I know that most bloggers are honest when it comes down to their RSS feed subscriber's count..but there might be other bloggers who would rather prefer to game this count, in order to show their visitors/potential advertisers that their blogs really have a strong readership base, as well.

I saw a short video over at TechCrunch.com on this topic and thought to share it with you. Now, I'm not going to encourage you to do what is depicted in the video, but more to make you aware of this flaw in FeedBurner's system :)

Here's the clip I was talking about.. ( via TechChrunch.com )
  2. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    Thanks for sharing with us dude, BTW: i think inflating suscribers as also any other stat from a site is really pathetic...

3. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    You're welcome, Masterweb. And I agree with you here: it's nothing more pathetic than just gaming your websites'/blogs' stats. I mean, if you aren't able to show some real stats, why the heck are you still wasting time as webmaster?
  4. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    that's the wrong point (i think), i could be the best webmaster around the net but low earnings, traffic and stats doesn't means i'm a bad webmaster, coder, web designer...it just means i'm not a good marketeer or seller, or some like that (i don't know the right adjective in english) is just i must continue developing sites and letting other to manage them. As example i'm a bad coder, a bad witer but i'm good (i hope so) as network manager...you got my point?.-

So instead inflating stats i think is better change estrategy, concept and then continue ahead, without pishing people...

5. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Yep, I get your point here ;) And changing the strategy on how you're marketing/administrating your site might some time be a wise move, as you've pointed out too..
  6. Mr.Bill Qdoos Contributor

Mr.Bill
    Though if a site just started is producing good content people may not subscribe but if they see higher numbers they may think twice and go what am I missing then subscribe. It has been an old business trick for ages even before the internet. Something like a new checking account you can start with check #100 or 50k one way makes it look like a new account the other makes it look older. Works for car dealerships also. So a slight inflation is not a harmful thing so long as its not being done to sucker a potential buyer of the site.
  7. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Hmm..interesting. Never heard of such a similar trick to work in real life too :)
  8. Mr.Bill Qdoos Contributor

Mr.Bill
    Think radio stations inflate listener count tv stations viewer count, list goes goes on now the technique used in the video may not be the same but the inflation technique has and always will be :) Probably go as far to say some election votes are inflated also
  9. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    I wouldn't wonder to hear that even votes are inflated too. I mean, anything is possible :)