Are Directorys profitable ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Crank, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Crank Not Active

Crank
    Ok ill admit im here because ive been put in charge of our company website, i havent got a clue about anything but im keen to learn, i have read alot about people owning directory websites, first whats the point in them ? and do they make money ?

Thanks again
  2. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    The first thing is that "Lot of websites have the directories have a directory on their sub domain like "dir.hell.com" or "directory.hell.com"".

Many directories are also on the domain. But, there is neither loss nor a huge profit in having them. All you need to do is get the directory to PR2 or PR3 and it will automatically increase its traffic figure. About the profit? You can have some CPM ads to earn a good amount while AdSense will also do well. You may get some clicks now and then and these are enough for domain renewal.

So, finally, its not a profitable niche!!!
    Asad,
  3. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    the purpose of them is for webmasters to get an easy backlink
  4. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    But, he is asking about owning them dude!
    Asad,
  5. MoneyMan Not Active

MoneyMan
    Directorys can be very profitable but you have to offer something unique that visitors will want to come back too or it has too offer a great well sorted category and site base, Its alot of hard work i would imagine.
  6. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    nope, he also asked what the point in them was
  7. Crank Not Active

Crank
    Thanks for all the replies so basicly what your all saying is that you have to work hard if you want one to make it successful ? otherwise it will be a waste of time ?
  8. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Everything needs a hard work to make it successed, once you have a good traffic and a good PR, people will have no dupes to put their links in your directory and you earn a backline, so you can advertise your blog or website in this directory and earn traffic though!
  9. dvduval New Member

dvduval
    While there are still plenty people out there that have developed a good system for running a profitable general directory, I am seeing a lot more people running niche and regional type directories. For example, blog directories seem to be pretty hot again now.
  10. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    well, look at yahoo and dmoz....sorry,am i self promoting there?LOL
  11. TryUsOut Qdoos Contributor

TryUsOut
    Having a directory could be a profitable business if you would be able to work hard on maintaining and developing your directory. Its best if the directory's main page has a high PR as well as its subpages. Traffic is also a main issue. If you are bale to prove that your directory has lots of unique (and real) traffic, you could have lots of submission to it as well. You can either put up ads or make it a paid directory to eran from it.
  12. splashahead Not Active

splashahead
    Don't think soo
  13. pawan Not Active

pawan
    Directories are helpful in generating backlinks and traffic on website.
  14. mit Qdoos Contributor

mit
    Well, pawan has already answered it in a short way...

directories are helpful but only the relevant one..or if you submit your site in the relevant category...
    mit,
  15. Hafsoh Qdoos Contributor

Hafsoh
    Directories require a lot of time put into them, so if you're not ready to spend a couple hours a day on your directory for the first few weeks/months, forget making good money with it. Most of the directories that people make fail after about 5 months, because people simply don't put enough effort into them, and they don't work, so the person gives up.
  16. anjel Not Active

anjel
    Actually, i don't think that dirs may be very usefull for seo or any profits. It is better to get on link from strong high quality website than submitting it for free in 1000s of dirs..
  17. anilimb Not Active

anilimb
    I have a dir and still don't have any success with it so far