conflicting SEO advice?

Discussion in 'Google' started by John L, Jun 2, 2008.

1. John L Not Active

John L
    One of my SEO consultants said dynamic pages are OK.

Another of my SEO consultants said dynanmic pages are problematic, because engines have trouble distinguishing the URLS and only read so many parameters in the URL.

Any opinions?
  2. Similar Threads: conflicting advice
    Forum Title Date
    Google Is Google AdWords any good? Need experienced advice from experienced... Mar 11, 2008

3. Lukene Guest

Lukene
    Hi,
    Dynamic pages are SEO allowed. They are also problematic.

If all your pages are:
    index.php?id=1
    index.php?id=2
    etc, than you are not helping search engine robots crawl your web site and indexing it.
    It is ok to use dynamic pages but in a meaningful way. I wish to be clear - this is not a call to "cheat search engine bots". This is a way to make your web site readable for humans and search engine bots.
    Let me use an example:
    http://chevrolet-car-parts.macautoparts.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3269810
    http://audi-car-parts.macautoparts.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3508013
    As a human you can see the differences. A search engine bot can see that this is a page called "ProductInfo.aspx".
    On the other hand, the first web page is a chevrolet car part, while the second page is an audi car part.
  4. Robert D Guest

Robert D
    Dynamic pages don't really "exist" until the user enters in information and then the page is automatically constructed using this information. Therefore when a search engine is looking at your site, it does not see these pages because they don't exist. That will affect your search engine rankings.

Most programs today will allow the ability to make the URL's search engine friendly but not all of them.

I therefore would be mindful of using dynamic pages if you are concerned about SEO.
  5. anaise Not Active

anaise
    I get conflicting advice all the time about SEO's. I'm just glad I haven't really implemented those that cost money.
    I'm still doing my research and in due time will probably have to work with a major SEO.
  6. osgood=diver Not Active

osgood=diver
    Dynamic pages are ok if you have lots of text to offset it. Say you have some image links to other pages on your sites. This will surely be ignored by bots but if you have links at the bottom of your page, it should be a little easier for crawlers to skip through your site. Also, those frilly flash splash intro pages do not do your site good SEO-wise because there is no content to associate your site with.