Dmoz and Yahoo Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by MoneyMan, May 29, 2008.

1. MoneyMan Not Active

MoneyMan
    Is there real advantages in having a listing in these two ? everyone see's them as authority sites and i suppose a backlink from any authority site is good, but is there any other reason why you would try hard to get in ? especailly yahoo since their prices are going up again ! (if they havent already)
  2. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    i will never pay for one backlink - and inner pages dont have pr anyway so its not that good, i dont think it really make much difference in pr, i submitted once or twice free to dmoz and left it at that!
  3. Gorkfu Qdoos Contributor

Gorkfu
    Well as for traffic, DMOZ still gives decent traffic. As for yahoo directory I don't think it gives much traffic anymore. Having a back link in either directory is good. I'm not really sure how it's weighted with Google but it is treated at a higher weight than most other sites.
  4. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    does anyone on this forum have a link in dmoz? my work partner had one of his sites listed, didnt make much difference in anything
  5. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Dont forget that backlinks are mainly for SERP's and PR has nothing to do with it really , alot of people have gone off the track of what really matters when they are looking for Links, PR is a front some really high quality and high traffic sites out there one have PR2 etc , id rather have a link from them than a one page crappy pr5 ?

Yeah i have most of my sites bar this one and couple of directorys in DMOZ, cant say it bring much if any traffic but it still an authority site, remember when you get into Dmoz it also gives you over 200 other site links, from places like Google directory, alexa directory ?!

I also have one in Yahoo which i didnt pay for, again nice backlink in a PR5 category cant be bad for free.
  6. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    i thought that you had to pay to be in yahoo? or do you know a secret? :)
  7. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Nope no secrets im not sure if they still do accept site free but around 4 months ago they were accepting non commercail sites for free, well if your lucky enough anyway i submitted my site a good year maybe year and a half ago and it was only around 4 months ago i suddenly saw it was listed :eek:
  8. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    oh i thought of something they are good for - your sdite may sell for a little more if you say its listed in dmoz or yahoo!

i dont think i even checked out yahoo directory lol will look now and add my site if its still free
  9. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    possibly mate but when selling your site its not always a good idea that you are in Dmoz, Lots of people have been removed from Dmoz after a new owner has taken charge
  10. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    well, anyways yahoo is free, just submitted my link now, so long as i keep my site 10 years i should get listed
  11. marysunitha Not Active

marysunitha
    Listed in Dmoz directory gives you more options of appearing in more directories taking it where as I'm not sure whether they take the listing.

Many sites takes Dmoz seriously compared to Yahoo.
  12. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    9 years, 359 days till im listed in yahoo....
  13. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    What Are The Results ? So We Could Compare It With Dmoz
  14. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    huh, you misunderstood the post again
  15. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    You Meant, You Have Been Listed In Yahoo A While Ago!
  16. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    nope, it was a joke, i said so long as i have my site 10 years i will get listed in yahoo

then a few posts later i added - 9 years 359 days to go
  17. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Lol No.. If You Got Something Special Over Your Website Why Not To Be Listed In 1 Day ;)
  18. Killer1993 Not Active

Killer1993
    Iearn-Money i think you totally lost the point there :p

What River spoke about it taking a hell of a time to get listed.

So, hitman made a joke up about it saying that now he had submitted his site, so he just had to wait 10 years. A few days later i suppose, he added 9 years 359 days, as if he was counting down :)
  19. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    Sorry for asking and sorry once again for go out topic but: what a &%/&/&(????@#@@@@ i need to do in order to get listed at least 1 of my sites at D-moz?... i'm trying for about 4 years and still....

20. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Try harder lol, na really i havent had any problems with Dmoz apart from this site and a directory all my others that i care about are listed and my tottenham site even got listed in Yahoo for free too