First!

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by Jammy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Jammy Guest

Jammy
    Im new here. Just joined. I like what i see! When is qdoos [great name!] going to launch? Hope you guys do well.
  2. admin Administrator Staff Member

admin
    Hey! Welcome to the forum! Im glad you like it. There is no certain date. I want to make sure everything works spotlessly first. Maximum is late September. This is when the finance arrives. :D
  3. iJeff Not Active

iJeff
    That's great, I can see this site taking off and becoming huge. It's a nice concept with a great design (although not showing too great in Opera).
  4. admin Administrator Staff Member

admin
    Its probably CSS support again. Il see if i can try using spacers to align the ad. I assume its the adsense ad at the header that has been playing up.
  5. iJeff Not Active

iJeff
    I've submitted a post on the matter in the proper area.

What does Qdoos stand for? What's the background behind the unique (and a little odd) name? I like it!
  6. admin Administrator Staff Member

admin
    The first idea was to have a currency on the forum. Like a point system. $1 = 1 point. Then traders would be able to purchase points and use them instead of paypal etc in order to keep transaction costs to the minimum. So selling would cost you nothing. I had to come up with the name for the currency. Quedos seemed like the best option. When i changed my mind about the point system due to legal complications etc Quedos stuck in my head so i changed it to something a bit shorter and web 2.0. :)
  7. iJeff Not Active

iJeff
    Ah, that's cool. Although I'd love a currency point system. Although 1 point = $1 is a tad bit. Having a lower exchange rate for the points like 10 points = $1 would be great. Having contests run using points and such. There's a great cash mod for vBulletin that handles such transactions well. Qdoos sounds amazing :).
  8. admin Administrator Staff Member

admin
    The idea was slightly different. The points were to replace paypal. So that all transactions made on this forum would be using these points. So if you were to sell something for 100 points you would get 100 points that can then be exchanged to $100. Then you are not losing them $7 or so in paypal fees.

Points for posts etc sound good though. I might consider this...
  9. iJeff Not Active

iJeff
    Points for certain posts would be a great way to reward quality content and services. These points could be accumulated and traded in for a link on Qdoos and such (of course costing a good amount).
  10. goodlife Not Active

goodlife
    The point system to replace PayPal is good. It would definitely save a lot of PayPal fees. I think it would be great to implement that idea.
  11. iJeff Not Active

iJeff
    Yes, but creating a currency as such comes with legal obligations I'm sure Qdoos would rather not have.
  12. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Wow. The point system seems to be a great one. I would love to see that. This forum will go on the heights only if it has something unique and I think this will be the unique thing.
    Asad,
  13. Footzilla Not Active

Footzilla
    Well I have seen the point system on many forums and I think it's a great idea. ;)
  14. alec11 Not Active

alec11
    cash mod eh?
    i heard some webmasters get their forum crashed when they install cash mod.
    be sure to check before installing cash mod.
  15. Footzilla Not Active

Footzilla
    duh...
    never heard of a forum crashing cuz of a cash mod. :confused: