Freebies for teachers?

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by num1grl, Apr 15, 2008.

1. num1grl Guest

num1grl
    Hi ,
    I will be a first year teacher (5th grade) and I wanted to start collecting materials. Any good recommendations for freebies?

2. avast Guest

avast
    You don't say what subject you'll be teaching. . .so I'm going to assume a little bit of everything. I teach English and History, so I can mostly help on that sort of stuff.

The best place I've found is on freecycle.org. The freecycle group in our area is a yahoo group, and it's awesome. You simply compose an e-mail titled WANTED: stuff for my 5th grade classroom, then list in the body of the e-mail everything that you need. People are insanely generous, and very helpful.

Another great place is on the "wanted" section of Craigslist.org. Explain your situation, and you'd be suprised what you end up with for your classroom.

While these are not free, garage sales can be a godsend. Go in the early afternoon even though this goes against all garage sale advice. This is because you're looking for the leftovers--you can get stuff for half what it was earlier in the day because people want to get rid of it. Be sure to mention that you're a teacher, because people tend to understand how much money we put into our classrooms.

Also, do not underestimate how much stuff you're going to inherit from the outgoing teacher. Go into school at least a week before the report date for teachers, and check on what supplies you already have. Be sure to check your mailbox for any samples of READ magazine or Time for kids--you should get about 1 a quarter. If there isn't one, go online and request one. Once you've done that, you can narrow down your search.

Finally, don't stress about decorating your room. Make it welcoming, but leave plenty of wall space for student work. This not only saves time, but it saves you a ton of money in inspirational posters that haven't got half the impact that seeing their own work with a positive message will have.

If all else fails, here are some links to get you started:
  3. WODO Guest

WODO
    Tag sales are great for books, board games, etc. E-bay sometimes has retiring teachers posting huge lots of supplies. Your school may give you an allowance to purchase supplies to set up your room. Good luck! 5th grade is great.
    WODO,