Godaddy.com???

Discussion in 'Domain Discussions' started by silkyjohnson818, May 31, 2008.

1. silkyjohnson818 Not Active

silkyjohnson818
    I'm going to create a myspace style website, but diffrent. Im going to buy a domain and hosting from godaddy.com, but I'm confused about which hosting package to purchse. Someone please explain to me what each package's purpose is and what it offers, because I dont know what SSL sertificate, and mySQL is and what not. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?ci=9009
  2. Lookin4Answers Not Active

Lookin4Answers
    Each year you will need to pay for:

1) your domain name registration which allows you to use your unique web name www.yourname.com

2) a hosting service (such as godaddy.com as one example) where you park the files that make up your website.

In addition - you will need a way to create and edit your web pages - either by buying software like Dreamweaver or by using an online application - such as the one Godaddy can offer you. Godaddy calls it SiteBuilder. You may also need a photo editor to get your pics into the right size and resolution for inserting into your web pages.

If you are going to start up an online store, that's more complicated because you will need a store front site, shopping cart and a way to take credit card orders securely (thus the SSL certificate). Godaddy also offers online store services. The store is more complicated and you need a merchant account.... etc.

If you plan on collecting any kind of data, or listing data of any kind on your site, you need a place to store the data - thus the SQL database.

If you are just going to have a few regular web pages with some photos, get the cheapest GoDaddy package. That's all you need!! I recommend getting the Windows Economy Plan at around $4 per month. I wouldn't get any of the options they offer either. You most likely don't need them.

Good luck and have fun!
  3. raychillee Not Active

raychillee
    Well, mySQL is a database that is usually used when using PHP. SSL means secure socket layer, which lets you use ecommerce and stuff. Basically, each package gives the same features, except there is more disk space, bandwidth, and features (emails, amount of databases available, subdomains, etc) with more expensive plans. I say go with the smallest plan, 10gb disk space, because that's plenty enough for a site starting out.