Google isn't W3C valid!

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by masterweb, Aug 15, 2008.

1. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    That's right, we normal webmasters, coders and site owners are always looking to improve our sites making them SEO friendly an standard compliants...but what happens when a big leader of the industry isn't valid (according to W3C)?...today i went to the validator tool located at validator.w3.org and after insertin on the URL field the address "www.google.com" i got:

Errors found while checking this document as HTML 4.01 Transitional!

61 Errors, 8 warning(s)

So i think Google is playing with us...:arghh:
  2. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Yahoo.com isnt Valid either 34 Errors, 8 warning(s)
  3. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Well... this is because, they are coding their sites with HTML and PHP and also ASP.

Visit : Google / index.html

The validation is only required if you are using XHTML and CSS.
    All the WP Blogs, vB, PHPBB, Joomla, SMF, Mambo etc.. use XHTML and CSS unlike Google and Yahoo! :)
    Asad,
  4. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    It should still out put in html though even if its coded in php, and cms systems like vb ,phpbb and joomla are all php coded.

Maybe you could offer google your $10 service to fix the error asad ;)

I would imagine the problem is the Java script they use ,nothing else.

Joomla templates often have trouble with validating because of the java that the mods and the core use
  5. valid8or Not Active

valid8or
    This is an area of special interest of mine. It's truly amazing the number of major websites which use invalid HTML. Of the major search engines, only Live.com is valid. MSN.com is also valid. Those came as a surprise to me, usually MS are definitely not the best at standards compliance.

You can find a lot more statistics and info about valid and invalid websites at my valid8or.com site.
  6. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    You're right!!

Welcome to Qdoos mate!!!

Everyone!!! Here is an expert :)
    Asad,
  7. valid8or Not Active

valid8or
    Thanks for the welcome :)

I agree with RiverWire, no matter what back-end system you are using, it still outputs HTML in the end. That end result HTML is subject to the same validation standards.

Dynamic PHP/ASP/etc. sites unfortunately make it easier for errors to propagate (output invalid HTML in a loop that runs 100 times, you now have 100 more errors). That's why sites like Google News that return long lists of items have so many validation errors. But the reverse can be true too (fix a validation error once in your PHP/ASP code or in an include file, and this might fix it in many places in the resulting HTML output).
  8. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    That's my point, even if they use Java script i think they should follow the rules as we do to be "standard".