How are you suppose to be passionate about a career after college and still make

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Enigma, May 28, 2008.

1. Enigma Guest

Enigma
    money to pay bills? If someone has an English degree and loves writing, how are they really supposed to do what they love and make money to keep a roof over their head? Everyone told me to do teaching but I know within myself I'm going to hate it so why bother? My first job was a floating patient service representative at a hospital. Personally it has been a living hell! I'm not much of the type who can deal with crowds of people at once while multi tasking. I had angry and abusive patients in my face while I'm trying to get five other things done. It drove me insane. Before I left college I tried to seek writing jobs but started to feel discouraged as no responses came. The only experience I had was my college newspaper.

I have a portfolio of some writing samples from a college newspaper, and I did a Technical writing internship, which I absolutely loved. I tried to secure another internship after college at a newspaper but it did not last because my writing skills didn't seem strong enough. It sucks.
  2. Similar Threads: suppose passionate
    Forum Title Date
    Off topic How is a 15 year old girl suppose to make money? Jun 18, 2008
    Off topic How is a 13 year old supposed to make money? Apr 26, 2008
    Off topic what are Affiliate programs and how do they work and what am i supposed to do? Mar 11, 2008

3. dan Guest

dan
    I think you answered your own question...

You stated you loved technical writing, but yet, you query whether a writing career can pay the bills. Technical writers aren't going to make six figures but they earn a nice salary (45-70k) that you can certainly live on. Go to some software (or technical) companies websites and look for open technical writing positions. Since you had an internship doing this already, this might give you a leg up on the competition (despite not having a technical writing degree).
    dan,
  4. dan Guest

dan
    I think you answered your own question...

You stated you loved technical writing, but yet, you query whether a writing career can pay the bills. Technical writers aren't going to make six figures but they earn a nice salary (45-70k) that you can certainly live on. Go to some software (or technical) companies websites and look for open technical writing positions. Since you had an internship doing this already, this might give you a leg up on the competition (despite not having a technical writing degree).
    dan,