How do you install Ubuntu (Linuux) and is it really a good idea to install it...

Discussion in 'Linux Discussion' started by Butterfly Princess, May 9, 2008.

1. ...on your PC? Have the installation cd for Linux/Unbuntu but curious if it will damage my harddrive and it is any good. Any information you can provide me with I would appreciate. Thank you in advance!
    Will it delete my windows? How much memory do I need?
  2. Chris P Guest

Chris P
    I have used Linux for years, but have been switching back and forth between distributions, until I found Ubuntu. It is perfect (for me). Unless you depend on some Windows-only program (not too many -- except for AOL, but other than that, there aren't many that don't have Linux equivalents), it will suit your needs. I use Xubuntu, which is a lower-resource version of Ubuntu, and I'm using it right now to type this answer. I love it.
  3. David D Guest

David D
    Put the disk in the drive.
    Reboot the computer.
    Double click the Install icon
    Follow the prompts.

As for a good idea, it depends on your needs. It suits my needs perfectly.

It won't damage your harddrive. Depending on the options you pick it might delete your data.

It will let you resize your existing partitions so it can exist side by side with Windows. The amount of disc space it uses and RAM it needs depends on the options you select.