How do you protect yourself when buying or selling?

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by midlandi, Aug 3, 2008.

1. midlandi Qdoos Contributor

midlandi
    If your in the business of buying or selling a site, what are your tips to protect yourself from being "had"?
    As we know paypal's support in this area is pretty much useless as are most other payment processors.
  2. Similar Threads: protect yourself
    Forum Title Date
    Off topic What do you like about yourself? Jun 5, 2008

3. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    I think it depends on what you can personally afford to lose, Ive see people asking for use of Escrow for things less than $1000, to me this is pointless and i wouldnt do it no matter what the deal was, Anything over $1500 i would use escrow and not paypal , or a normal bank transfer.
  4. midlandi Qdoos Contributor

midlandi
    So if you uses bank transfer, then as the seller you want payment up front but as the buyer you would not want to pay untill you receive ownership.

Thats my point, so how do both parties get protected?
  5. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Arh i see your point, As a seller i would def want the payment before giving the product, If the buyer wants the product then they should ask the right questions and do their homework before proceeding to the payment stage, all id need if i was the buyer is proof the site is theirs and they have the right to sell it. Then id be happy to part with my money.

being a seller you always run the risk of people doing charge back 3 months down the line with paypal, Escrow im not sure about as i hardly ever use it, Bank transfer would be my first option for a large some of money, If the buyer didnt like it then id find another buyer, but thats just me. I think the the rule is to make sure your totally happy before accepting anything your unsure about
  6. Mr.Bill Qdoos Contributor

Mr.Bill
    I have found google check and egold to be far better alternatives to paypal. If you do take paypal it seems best to have a personal account so you cant accept credit card payments. This way if you win the dispute they cant reverse a credit card payment. This way its done with paypal funds