How much money should i be making to get married?

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Satellites, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Satellites Guest

Satellites
    I live in the midwest so living expenses aren't very high in comparison to the rest of the country. Ive asked some people and some say you should make 500 a wk and others say more. whats your opinion?

2. nannywho Guest

nannywho
    You can get married even if you have no money. People in the past got married when they found the right person, started out with nothing if need be, then built a life together. Money is not everything.
  3. Dane_62 Guest

Dane_62
    That really depends on what you and your future spouse's expectations are, some people can live a lot more frugally then others.

The best thing to do is to do some research on how much it would cost to rent an acceptable place to live, talk to each other about eating habits ( will you eat at home mostly, will it be prime rib every night or rice and beans?) , will you want to go out a lot or can you have fun at home? do you need cable tv, broadband Internet? car payments? Do you either of you have debt?

All of these and many more things are factors that could mean you'd get by just fine on $1000 a month or not get by on $4000 a month.

Once you've figured out what you'll need. Then make a budget and try to live on it for a while, put the money for any expenses you don't have already in savings so you'll have that money for unexpected expenses latter.

Unless you have very expensice taste you almost certainly won't need 70,000 -80,000 a year. I live in california ( much more expesive place to live then the mid west) I have two kids and we get by fine on 50,000 a year.