How to make money in the EDUCATION field?

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Nicole S, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Nicole S Guest

Nicole S
    so, i want to become a teacher, but eventually move on from there.....i want to start off teaching at an elementary level and maybe go on to teach at a community college, but I still want more. I would really like to make a decent salary some day.
  2. VA Queen Guest

VA Queen
    You write a book about the latest stupid trend in education.
  3. dkappa95 Guest

dkappa95
    Go for the PHD in education. Many college professors start off in public schools, then work their way towards a doctorate.
  4. Suzianne Guest

Suzianne
    What do you consider a decent salary? Teachers in DuPage County, Illinois with 20 years experience are making over $100,000/yr. That seems pretty decent for a 180 day/yr job.
  5. deirdrezz Guest

deirdrezz
    I have a Masters in Middle School Education. In some states, it gets you a few thousand extra dollars. I have taught at community college; that doesn't pay any better than most public schools. Administrators do get paid more, but they don't get the longer holidays. Also, I don't view that as being in education. They go to meetings and supervise students.
    Decent ways to make a better salary:
    1. Write a text book and sell it to a school district. Even better, sell it to a whole country. (like Romania or some other up and coming place)
    2. Create your own teacher-friendly material and go on the national circuit conducting conferences. Hook up with BERG or some big co. that can market your workshops to schools and districts. (It helps to have a M.Ed and lots of years of experience. Teachers don't want to listen to an Ivory Tower type that hasn't been in a classroom or someone just starting out.)
    3. Completely abandon the kids and teachers and work for the school districts or textbook publishers as a consultant, sales rep., marketing strategist, etc.
    You can make over $100 K with the ideas from 1-3.
  6. Lily Guest

Lily
    Make it to a doctoral level and teach at a college. It just depends on how much money you want to make and what kind of work you're willing to do.
    Lily,