If you found a lot of money, would you make an attempt to return it? Also, how...

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Stephanie K, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Stephanie K Guest

Stephanie K
    ...much do you consider a "lot?" I just read some guy in California found $140,000 on the street. He was honest and trying to find the owner. I would like to think most people would do the same (even though I'd probably cry while turning the money over to the police.) Would you?

Also (and I'm working with US dollars here)...even if you're one of the honest ones, you'd probably keep the quarter you find in a soda machine, and a one dollar or five dollar bill you found on the ground. I'd probably even keep a twenty...but after that it kind of gets hazy and depends on the circumstances. How much money would YOU have to find before you'd think it appropriate to turn it in to the police?

2. John A Guest

John A
    I really like this question because it invites us to examine our souls. I have to say that mine does not fare very well here. It would depend on the money. If I found a person's welfare money I would return it as it would not have any bearing on my life, but would have a bearing on the life of the claimant, otherwise they wouldn't have been on welfare in the first place. If it was really serious money of the proportions of 140.000 this is the sort of money in cash that has been obtained illegally, as people do not carry that sort of small change around with them, and if it's been obtained legally they would have taken more care of it. I would then have to make the decision. As it has been obtained illegally, there would be no way it would be returned to the owner, so I would ask my self the question as to whether the police/central fund was the best place for it or helping me appreicate life a little more. And the answer is of course, I would hand it over to the police.................good heavens my nose is looking dreadfully large this morning....must be the cold weather we;re having at the moment.
  3. John A Guest

John A
    I really like this question because it invites us to examine our souls. I have to say that mine does not fare very well here. It would depend on the money. If I found a person's welfare money I would return it as it would not have any bearing on my life, but would have a bearing on the life of the claimant, otherwise they wouldn't have been on welfare in the first place. If it was really serious money of the proportions of 140.000 this is the sort of money in cash that has been obtained illegally, as people do not carry that sort of small change around with them, and if it's been obtained legally they would have taken more care of it. I would then have to make the decision. As it has been obtained illegally, there would be no way it would be returned to the owner, so I would ask my self the question as to whether the police/central fund was the best place for it or helping me appreicate life a little more. And the answer is of course, I would hand it over to the police.................good heavens my nose is looking dreadfully large this morning....must be the cold weather we;re having at the moment.