Keeping a forum Active

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by Fuzzer, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    So what tips can you give people to keep a forum active and get new members to join ?

im interested in what others do that possibly im not doing :tongue:
  2. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Honestly speaking, I have 2 forums right now. One is still new and its picking up at the rate of 15-20 members per day.

The old forum is having about 13,000 members and 1,500 active members who visit daily.

When I started that forum, it was just empty as it should be.:D
    Then, I hired 3 moderators paying each $30 per month. There job was not to moderate the spam. But, they were like normal members and they used to create about 20 new usernames each and they used to make a random number of posts and threads.

This would keep the forums active. Then, I hired another person paying him $100 to promote my forum. Not forum's home page, but, individual threads.

This helped me make my forum work really really great and now I am making about $800 - $1000 from AdSense. So, its ALRIGHT! :)

Do the same, mate!
    Asad,
  3. midlandi Qdoos Contributor

midlandi
    The key has to be interesting subjects.Think about it....you dive into a Forum, have a quick browse, nothing interesting...gone! Find some interesting posts and you are replying before you know it!
  4. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Whats your URL Asad i would like to take alook, PM me it if you wish
  5. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Yep, I would like to see your forum, too, mate. If you can share it with us, would be nice :)
  6. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    Well River...I'm not the best forum's owner on this planet but i can share with you 2 things i saw at my board:

About contest: a long therm contest is good to attract new members but i noticed that adding some few weekly basis contests or "Rewards" to active members the post count rocks to the sky (i think a member playing to wing a contest that could ends into 2 months will loose interest after the 3th week...so offering small contests helps a lot).

About content. Nothing to say dude, as wrote above another member...if i find a good interesting topic here i'll reply. If not i'll leave your board on 2 minutes (i'm talking as a normal new member that reaches the board for first time).

7. Jani Qdoos Contributor

Jani
    My answer is also same.

I would also add that when you launch a new forum and make some new threads, don't just put questions in the threads that "How old are you" "what is the last movie you saw" "what is ur favorite actor....etc"

put interesting content, informations, general knowledge, sharing ideas... so that the reader should GET something from your forum and he should get motivate to join and share his own knowledge. Hope you understand my point.
    Jani,
  8. demios New Member

demios
    Forums need momentum to keep them running.

Each day you need several new threads for people to read, that way they will look at your site each day like a niche newspaper.

Start threads that encourage debate, try and get your members talking to each other.

Eventually your site will gain a set of core members, they will be the ones that post everyday and answer most threads. You need to reward these members even if it is just a PM thanking them for there continued support.
    I have gone and met the core members of some of my bigger forums, had a cuppa with them and given them my phone number.

As far as competitions, give aways and other promotions; I find they only work with the superficial members and that the core members (the ones that earn your money) aren't really that bothered either way.

Just thought I would add my bit although I am sure you knew it all already.
    Fuzzer likes this.