Linux Commands?

Discussion in 'Linux Discussion' started by Computer Geek, May 5, 2008.

1. I'm brand spanking new to linux. Ive been so used to windows. I spent alot of time in the command prompt in windows so I'm pretty used to some commands and have a good grasp of the "Terminal". But theres ALOT of stuff that I have no idea whats going on. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out some words in the readme to install my network driver. So my questions are. What is a compiler? When I try to install it says no compiler was detected. "Make" Command? I'm using OpenSUSE. The newest one,I forgot the version number.
    Umm... I installed 4.1 gigs.... And theres supposed to be a compiler? I may not be installing it right.
  2. snakeeyes Guest

snakeeyes
    Hi, if u r installing from dvd then in yast software management install gcc, make, and kernel-sources and u r done.
  3. snakeeyes Guest

snakeeyes
    Hi, if u r installing from dvd then in yast software management install gcc, make, and kernel-sources and u r done.
  4. Andy T Guest

Andy T
    You have no idea what's compiler? It turns source code into runnable binary code. This means the nearly elemental GCC compiler is not there, I would expect GCC not there for a Live CD but not a hard drive install like OpenSUSE, such a disgusting discovery.