Linux Commands?

Discussion in 'Linux Discussion' started by Computer Geek, May 5, 2008.

1. I'm brand spanking new to linux. Ive been so used to windows. I spent alot of time in the command prompt in windows so I'm pretty used to some commands and have a good grasp of the "Terminal". But theres ALOT of stuff that I have no idea whats going on. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out some words in the readme to install my network driver. So my questions are. What is a compiler? When I try to install it says no compiler was detected. "Make" Command? I'm using OpenSUSE. The newest one,I forgot the version number.
    Umm... I installed 4.1 gigs.... And theres supposed to be a compiler? I may not be installing it right.
  2. Similar Threads: Linux Commands
    Forum Title Date
    Linux Discussion Can i use the ubuntu linux commands on windows XP? Sep 11, 2008
    Linux Discussion How do I run multiple commands on a Unix/Linux system without a GUI? Jul 3, 2008
    Linux Discussion Any links to get demos of running Linux commands using Terminal!? Jun 11, 2008
    Linux Discussion Linux commands? May 7, 2008
    Linux Discussion Linux commands - need a reminder? May 5, 2008
    Linux Discussion Linux Commands? May 5, 2008
    Linux Discussion LInux commands? May 5, 2008
    Linux Discussion linux commands? May 5, 2008
    Linux Discussion Linux Commands? May 4, 2008
    Linux Discussion linux commands help? May 4, 2008

3. snakeeyes Guest

snakeeyes
    Hi, if u r installing from dvd then in yast software management install gcc, make, and kernel-sources and u r done.
  4. snakeeyes Guest

snakeeyes
    Hi, if u r installing from dvd then in yast software management install gcc, make, and kernel-sources and u r done.
  5. Andy T Guest

Andy T
    You have no idea what's compiler? It turns source code into runnable binary code. This means the nearly elemental GCC compiler is not there, I would expect GCC not there for a Live CD but not a hard drive install like OpenSUSE, such a disgusting discovery.