Microsoft stops sale of Win XP

Discussion in 'IT Discussions' started by MoneyMan, May 25, 2008.

1. MoneyMan Not Active

MoneyMan
    If you are planning to buy a computer with Microsoft?s Operating System (OS) XP, brace up to shift to Vista. Microsoft XP will go off the market from June 30. Buyers may gripe about the additional investments in new hardware for the Vista OS, but not much choice for them. Vista will come pre-installed with their branded machines. Ditto for enterprises, and they will have to spend time and money in training employees on the new software.

About a year back, Microsoft announced that Windows XP would be going off the market from January, 2008. XP was later given an extension to June 30. That deadline is approaching and Microsoft insists that there won?t be any more extensions.

Microsoft India Windows Client Business Group director Prasanna Meduri told ET, ?XP will seize to exist. Though there is a policy for specific segments, XP won?t be available for OEMs and general retailers from June 30. For system builders (assembled market), there?s an extension of six months. And for new market segments like low-cost PCs (priced below Rs 20,000) XP will be available till June 30, 2010.??

Basically what this means is, if you plan to buy a low-cost computer, you can get XP (the hardware won?t be robust enough to run Vista?s various features) till 2010 and if you buy an unbranded machine you get XP till January 31, 2009. But if you buy a branded computer that costs more than Rs 20,000, you will have no choice but to take Vista. Interestingly, the low-cost PC for which Microsoft has extended XP availability till 2010 comprises less than 5% of the market.

Source : Economic Times
  2. Gorkfu Qdoos Contributor

Gorkfu
    It was only a matter of time. That's why I bought a couple extra copies from NewEgg. Plus I got the free upgrade discs (that are not suppose to expire) if I ever want to go to vista on my extra computers.
  3. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Well, I think its still no problem for the webmasters. Here is a tip from me!!! If you want XP after June 30, Search the shops and if you don't get it any where go to a friend who has a XP CD. Get his CD and install XP on your machine. Now, after installation, do a small update from Microsoft website. Then, you will be given a message that your copy is NOT GENUINE. At that time, Buy the license from MicroSoft website.

Or

Just go to eBay and buy a copy!!! :p
    Asad,
  4. alec11 Not Active

alec11
    well, even if Microsoft stop selling XP, i and my friend still have CD copy of XP.
    So, there no problem with me :)
  5. Footzilla Not Active

Footzilla
    The main reason for stopping the sale of xp is to boost up the sale of vista.
  6. jamesnardels Not Active

jamesnardels
    Hi,

If we want to develop a new software what? is the prosiger.

Thanks in advance.
  7. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Thats true! But, Vista sucks. So, Win XP would still fly in the market even if its price is increased. Vista cannot do perfectly for many webmasters and intensive users.
    Asad,
  8. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    well, with vista ive found i cant play .mp3 files there is some kind of bug i dunno how to sort it, i need to install new drivers or something
  9. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Hey! is it true? I have never heard that you cannot play MP3 files on Vista....

How can it be without playing .MP3 files? Do you have any Player installed?

It will be the fault of player and not Operating System! Download Real Player and thats the best music player out there right now!
    Asad,
  10. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    no, ive heard its only on a few unlucky ones, read it from google somewhere, its not the player ive tried loads of them

i jsut need to install a driver or something i dont know what! might just have to avoid it and use .wma's
  11. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Oh mate! Thats too bad. :worried: I will never purchase Windows Vista now!!! [​IMG]
    Asad,
  12. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
  13. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Well I can say that most of users just download the win XP from internet, from a warez forum or P2P program, torrent... Few people does buy it, I think the online downloads will never ever been stopped!
  14. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Well... Most? of the people. So, I guess, even you download it from Warez sites!

However, I am really glad that I have bought it. I will never ever buy Vista's present version. Lets see what Windows does in the future! :NERD:
    Asad,
  15. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    you shouldn't download it anymore, i heard that they are easily tracking people down illegally downlaoding windows now
  16. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Well... Even if they were unable to track. I wouldn't purchase it! :yes:
    Asad,
  17. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    that dont make sense, its like contradicting yourself