New search engine launched by former Google engineers: Cuil.com

Discussion in 'Other Search Engines' started by Midwest, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    I was reading on Yahoo! a couple of days ago that some former Google engineers have launched a new search engine: Cuil.com. Because I was curious to see how it looks like, I've visited the website. My opinion is that the design of the site doesn't look bad. But a slight improvement to it wouldn't hurt anyone..There's a broken link I've noticed, which should be fixed..In general though, I think it's a nice ( and probably even promising ) little search engine. What do you guys think ? :)
  2. Similar Threads: search engine
    Forum Title Date
    Other Search Engines UK Search engines list Jan 20, 2009
    Other Search Engines US search engines Dec 30, 2008
    Other Search Engines reasons why your site is not listed on search engines Aug 24, 2008
    Other Search Engines Specialized Search Engine Aug 6, 2008

3. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    To be honest i noticed this search engine about 2 weeks ago (i saw at my forum a spider from cuil but i think till today i haven't any indexed page over there (but to me is new the fact cuil borns from same minds than Google !).-

4. Querblogger New Member

Querblogger
    At least my Sqidoo lens is already indexed on Cuil. Let's see how they'll perform in the future, although I highly doubt they will become a big competitor to Google fast (or at all?). Anyway, a little competition doesn't hurt the search engine market.

Oh, here's a nice post about some issues with the brand name "Cuil" as such:

chrisbaskind.com/2008/07/28/how-cuil-is-it-to-misspell-your-brand-name/

LATER EDIT ( by Midwest ): Another link activated..now you owe my another beer :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  5. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    @ Masterweb & Querblogger: Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what impact will this new search engine have, once it establishes itself better. Might not be a #1 competitor for Google or other big search engines, but who said one more such SE is bad ? :p
  6. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    guys, Im gonna submit my link, i know theres little point, but it my be really useful to get indexed there early on if they become big
  7. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Go ahead and submit a link..and tell us later on what results did you got from Cuil ;)
  8. Querblogger New Member

Querblogger
    It's definitely worth to submit your link. Simply look at all the hype that is generated about Cuil lately, they slowly become popular... :biggrin:

@Midwest: Damn, that gets more and more expensive. Couldn't you increase my post count, would be way simpler for you! ;)
  9. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    From my point of view, a beer is better than a simple post count increase :D
  10. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    i cant submit my link.

i have contacted them asking to buy a small share.why?some of the richest people are the people that bought a cheap share of google when it started up - they took a tiny gamble, it paid of.I consider this a lottery ticket :D
  11. TryUsOut Qdoos Contributor

TryUsOut
    I've seen a lot of fuzz lately about this new search engine in a lot of different forums. But the question still remains - would it be able to compete with Google in terms of popularity and usability?
  12. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Hmm..I think only time will tell if Cuil.com will indeed by good enough to survive in the SE jungle :)
  13. Beneploy New Member

Beneploy
    cuil.com is a good search engine I have got good results from it.
  14. greatlogix Qdoos Contributor

greatlogix
    I like cuil's interface. They still need improvement.