Page Rank vs Traffic

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by Fuzzer, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    When optimising your site what do you aim for ? PR or Traffic, i know it may seem like an obvious question but ive seen alot of answers to this that may surprise some people.

Personally Traffic is everything and alot harder to get than PR
  2. Similar Threads: Page Rank
    Forum Title Date
    General Webmaster Chat Official PageRank Update thread 27/09/08 Sep 27, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat TriPHP Forums lost its Pagerank like my sites lost! Sep 15, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Description of PageRank Calculation Aug 14, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Page Rank Update July 2008 Jul 11, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Qdoos got its Alexa rank because of me! Sep 19, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Alexa Rank.........The Importance of? Aug 15, 2008

3. BuxP Not Active

BuxP
    PR is all about traffic, but however, Traffic is what a site needs to be succesfull..
    BuxP,
  4. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Actually bux PR has nothing to do with traffic at :) its do with links
  5. BuxP Not Active

BuxP
    That's what I meant lol, my bad
    BuxP,
  6. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Actually the traffic is the most hard thing to get.. And specially targeted visitors, you can just put your website in the autosurfs but it's like you fool yourself..

So I guess traffic is important than PR
  7. BuxP Not Active

BuxP
    I have a PTC site (which is not Autosurf!) And most of the people that advertise with me I give x free sign ups or leads or whatever they want the traffic to do... This helps a lot ;) )
    BuxP,
  8. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    traffic you need most.Sure pr can get you some nice quick $$, but ,its easy to get high pr,but twice as easy to loose it
  9. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    But I see people when they want to buy links, they ask for PR first, immediatly after the answear they ask about traffic stats.. So I guess both of them are important but the traffic is the hardest thing to get
  10. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    agreed, had my site since november and not seeing any major increase in traffic
  11. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    You must always promote your website to get new visitors until you have a "self traffic machine" which bring you traffic from different places so you could stop promoting it, same as DP..
  12. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    but thats not gonna happen cos thats gonna mean you earning around 15k per month
  13. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Not really.. Traffic isn't money, however you publish google ads if there is no clickers and you have tons of traffic, you will earn nothing!
  14. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    find an alternative.. sell banner ads to big big companies
  15. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Depends on the content of your website, some advertisers aren't interested to traffic only, but they require the content to be related to their services..
    Also some companies doesn't like to advertise on websites that has illegal content..
  16. subxpert Qdoos Contributor

subxpert
    I prefer traffic than PR since there is more money in traffic :) But I think there is an indirect relationship between the 2.
  17. Dungeonmaster Not Active

Dungeonmaster
    I certainly am no expert on getting traffic or PR, and judging by the conversation in this thread, I am not alone.:tongue:

Traffic certainly can be dependent on PR and search returns on Google, but with the way Google has been pouncing PR of late, it makes you wonder to what degree.

Many webmaster forums that were ranked PR5, perhaps even better, are now clocking in at PR3; yet, their Alexa rankings still hold. Being that these forums, naturally are frequented by webmasters, who are a good part of determining Alexa rankings, that would seem to make sense with the Alexa rankings holding.

Webmaster Talk and Webmaster Key were both PR5 forums and both took a beating down to PR3. Some directories were seriously abused and took beatings down to PR0.

Makes you kind of wonder that if Google is applying a different strategy if the site is for webmasters, assuming blackhat is at work.

Yet, if you do a search for 'webmaster forum' on Google, some of the same webmaster forums, regardless of the beating they took on PR, still show up in about the same returns as they did before they lost PR.

Is Google applying more relevancy than they did before to the content or keywords of a page, regardless of how they have ranked it?

Being that, for many sites, traffic and PR are both going to be generated by the backlinks you have, they are not necessarily that separable.

On the other hand, I have several adult sites and those are difficult to get ranked and to get promoted. Often you are getting your traffic from your backlinks. You can and eventually will, get traffic off of the search engines, and that is your goal with any site, you can't depend on that at the start and have to get your link on pages with traffic. If those pages are ranked and are showing up in Google returns for your keywords, then that is a bonus both for traffic and PR.

Even though I don't think that PR and traffic, under general circumstances, are all that separated, I think that they are more separated than before. Trying to figure out what Google considers for ranking and indexing has always been a mystery at which you try your best guess; unfortunately, maybe, they change the rules so frequently that you can only rely on some common sense basics of seo and sometimes be surprised at how Google responds to that.

If I am depending on a site to generate some income, I want the traffic. Being ranked is good enough for me; at times, mostly, I don't care about what the rank is, so long as my site is being considered.

Just my two cents worth, and with inflation, I doubt it's worth that much.:laugh:
  18. Vilice Not Active

Vilice
    traffic make sense that site can be promoted
  19. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    If I were to select between traffic and page rank, I'd go for the first option, as I believe it's more important to first generate traffic to your website/blog and then try to worry about PR :)
  20. Hafsoh Qdoos Contributor

Hafsoh
    Traffic is king! If you want to make money online, you really need TRAFFIC, then your little traffic blog should have some google page rank. If you have a site that doesn?t have PR or traffic, then you should work on building both up. Don?t expect to make money online with a PR0 site.
  21. omnistar Not Active

omnistar
    PR?

Isn't PR only relevant with google?