Pointers in directory submission...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by TryUsOut, Jul 31, 2008.

1. TryUsOut Qdoos Contributor

TryUsOut
    Posted this same thread on some other forums. Hope to pick your minds to contribute to a good discussion ;)

Directories have been good sources of one-way links for a long time. It is a one of the easiest link building method especially for newer sites. But quality is still the name of the game. Some pointers in selecting the directories to submit to:

High PR - indication that Google sees some value in the directory.
    Well maintained - listed sites are in the proper category
    High Traffic - getting traffic could be minimal from directories, but majority are targeted
    Kewords ranking high in SERP - Well optimized, shows that the directory is well-marketed and SEO'ed.

Which to avoid:
    Link farms that pose as directories
    Directories that require reciprocal links
    Crappy ones with crappy sites listed

What are your thoughts? Care to add more pointers?
  2. Similar Threads: Pointers directory
    Forum Title Date
    Directories This is my new directory Jul 28, 2009
    Directories Top ten article directory Apr 22, 2009
    Directories Directory submission is one of the best ways to get one way quality links. Jan 20, 2009
    Directories USA specific directory list Jan 14, 2009
    Directories Need Free SEO Directory!! Sep 16, 2008
    Directories What is the most popular Directory software? Aug 1, 2008
    Directories Free Directory Submission Software | Worth Trying Jul 8, 2008
    Directories Want promotion/traffic/submissions for your Directory? Jul 3, 2008
    Directories Are Directorys profitable ? Jun 30, 2008
    Directories Quality PR3 SEO Friendly Directory Jun 20, 2008

3. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    Well... it seems that I cannot add more here.. But.. I have only one thing to say.

Good and valuable directories are loosing the control nowadays.. For example, DMOZ.. There is 0.01% of chance to get your site listed there. So.. I believe that Directories are loosing value and not many webmasters are concentration at the Directories as the chances of getting a link are decreasing at good directories.

Btw.. You seem be a New Member here.. So.. Welcome to Qdoos and have a great time here! :)
    Asad,
  4. TryUsOut Qdoos Contributor

TryUsOut
    Most webmasters think that they get better SERP's or PR after doing directory submissions. They don't. It should also be paired with other link building methods to get favorable results in SEO. We should also consider the fact that directory links would provide traffic overtime. It may be minimal - but they add up. That is one value others overlook.

Thanks buddy! I'm enjoying it here already ;)
  5. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Dmoz and Yahoo still hold their value in my opinion, just because there is a small chance of getting in to a directory it doesn't mean its losing value, in fact i would say it adds to its value, they only let in quality sites that are worthy of getting in the directory.

As for directory submissions not getting you anywhere in SERP's ? i have to disagree ?! what would be the point in submitting to directorys if they didnt contribute to these factors ? i know google value a link from a directory a little less but it all helps. Webmasters dont submit to Directories to gain traffic (unless its for another directory)

Lets face it, the normal user wont visit a directory to look for a site unless the directory has something unique that makes people what to visit them. Directorys are webmaster toys and nothing else
  6. TryUsOut Qdoos Contributor

TryUsOut
    One important benefit we get from directory submissions is increasing the bot crawl rate on our sites. IMO crawlability of a site from its backlinks is a very important factor in a search engines algo.