Some "bigger" Forums loosing Traffic.

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by midlandi, Aug 3, 2008.

1. midlandi Qdoos Contributor

midlandi
    Checking through some of the "bigger" webmaster Forums a large amount seem to be loosing alot of traffic. Judging by the Alexa figures, ok I know Alexa isnt the be all and end all of monitoring services, but it does give some sort of indication.
    Anyhow, I wonder why this is?
  2. Similar Threads: bigger Forums
    Forum Title Date
    General Webmaster Chat TriPHP Forums lost its Pagerank like my sites lost! Sep 15, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Mobile Forums Sep 5, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Are there too many Webmaster Forums? Sep 4, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat DigitalPoint Forums Going Down and Down and Deep!!! PROOF INSIDE! Aug 10, 2008
    General Webmaster Chat Forums with huge amounts of visitors - Fake ? Jul 16, 2008

3. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    I think there are too many reasons by according to me the most important are small / mediums forums as Qdoos... i'll explain why using my own expirience:

I was (and i underline: was) a dayly user of DP and Dnforum when trading, selling, buying and offering services, sites and so on... well one day i was banned at DP without any reason (believeme) when i contacted them i received that a mod banned me due my account was duplicated...so actually i'm a member of DP from almost 3 years and made a total of 265 posts (so i think is obvious i'm not a spammer), almost those posts were buying or selling (with almost 200 I-traders votes so transactions were real) and when i explained this i receive as response: sorry but you are banned till August!. So at this point i never came back to DP.

At Dnforum: as i wrote on another thread here at Qdoos i'm a "gold member" there so it means i paid for this membership (too many time ago), also over there almost all my posts were for selling and buying (not spamming), well the day i included into my sign a link to my board i got 2 infractions (on the same day for the same reason from 2 different mods), so if i pay my membership but i'm not free to show on my sign my board then i'll never use again this board...

So in resume i think people alike me is going to alternatives boards where is easy to trade, sell, offer, discuss or just ask for help without beign worried about these issues. If you look carefully tons of members are comming to small boards due is alike a "family" where you help me today and i'll help you tomorrow...maybe i'm wrong but that's my idea.-

4. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    I noticed this last week midi, personally i think the Webmaster Marketplace is dying , i have no idea why but especially DP there marketplace has been dying slowly for the last 2 months, its getting quieter ever week, DP's main source of traffic was for the marketplace so this would make sence.

Where is everyone going ? god knows.

I know also that alexa redone all there stats to try and make things more accurate maybe this is the knock on effect of there changes
  5. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    All who've posted so far are right: when you see that you're starting to get banned or receive infractions on forums like DP or DNF for no reason at all, I think it's time for you to look elsewhere. I mean, let's be realistic: the mods there are banning you for a certain period of time, even though you did nothing wrong and when you ask them why this happened, they give you a shitty answer like the one Masterweb received " Sorry but you're banned till August".

Well, thanks very much Mr. Mod, but aren't you able to give me a proper, bit more detailed answer? Just because you're a mod on DP doesn't make you a God, after all..
  6. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    That's the point dude, for example here at Qdoos i count with a direct contact with River so if i spam or make some worng then i received a PM from him, or you Midwest...but if i'm banned just because a mod thinks my account is duplicated without giving to me the right to show him that's not a true then be sure i'll move to another board...and i heard same from many people that used to trade at DP are moving to small forums...
  7. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    You're right here, buddy. I too would prefer a forum where you could actually discuss with the admins/mods in person ( well, sorta.. ) and tell them you did nothing wrong and prove them this. I like people who are open-minded and ready to hold a conversation with you..not some robotized guys put there to just ban you :)
  8. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    Another problem of bigger forums is that if i start a thread selling my cat right now, after 1 minute this topic is at the 100 page of the board, so of course i think how to bum it each 10 mins (so i'll be banned for shure). Instead this at smaller forums if i start same thread selling my cat i'm sure the same topic will be available to potentially customers for at least 1 day (and if i bump the thread adding more info about my cat i'm sure i'll be not banned, off course if i bump a thread every 5 mins River or even you dude will ban me)...

9. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Yep, I saw this thing too, especially on DP. There, if you were to post a new thread now, I can guarantee you that till the next day it might end up at the end of the second page at least, if no one replies to it ( and I know it happens like that ). And yes, if you try and bump the thread from time to time, you will get banned. But on smaller forums, the admins and mods are more sympathetic to you, I believe ( just like here at Qdoos :D ).
  10. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    I'll be honest: i also run a board simmilar to Qdoos so i hate spammers as river or even you boy, but in DP you need to bump a thread if you really wish to close any trade or sale, otherwise your sale is dead before starting so if at first bump you get banned...your love for this board ends!.-
  11. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Yeah, I guess any forum owner hates spammers, so he will eventually ban them. As about DP, I never loved that forum much anyways. I always preferred smaller forums, where people are more friendly and helpful :)
  12. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    DP was the better market place due if you started a thread selling an ice cube (as DP receives tons of visits) you was sure after 1 day at least 3 people will mail you interested to buy your ice cube. Now is not possible anymore.-
  13. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Indeed. Those were probably the early days you are talking about. But now, since the forum grew so much, as you said, you have very little chance to sell something there, unless you start bumping your thread..and therefor, being banned after a few such attempts.
  14. masterweb Qdoos Contributor

masterweb
    I saw this problem from about 1 year, and not only at DP. I remember ayear ago i started some threads at Dnforum selling and after i saw my thread was even closed due i made a mistake (if not posting the full url at title as example), well go now to Dnforum and you will see threads for selling that are open without replies for about a month...why?, easy: no one else is interested to use Dnforum as before so less traffic means less potentially customers , less customers means less sellers, less sellers means less traffic so your backlink at sign ranks less, so at the end no one is interested on the forum any more...

15. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    In my opinion, I think it is normal for people to start not showing that much interest to a site or board if its quality decades, as they showed in the beginning. And from here, the whole Domino effect is born, just as you've mentioned in the post above.
  16. Mr.Bill Qdoos Contributor

Mr.Bill
    Its an easy one cant give so much power to your mods and not check what they are doing. Too many BS bans being given out on the larger forums and the mods are over worked and annoyed and banning for anything now. Then other larger ones are now running nofollow on links so from a seo benefit it makes no sense to post there when you can post on another site and get the backlinks.

Bottom line dont screw the people over or it will come back to kick you in the arse.

Ever been banned from DP? Notice there is no contact link provided so you can dispute it if they banned the wrong person?
    Fuzzer likes this.
  17. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Correct. It seems that for some people, running/owning a successful website/forum/blog and probably even making quite a good amount of money from it, makes them start disregarding their members/visitors after a period of time. But they forget however that if those members or visitors wouldn't have found their site or forum earlier, they wouldn't have been where they are now.

I guess it's all about being greedy here..Too much cash might make you think that you shouldn't give a f**k anymore..It's not always like that though, and as you've said, faith might turn against you.