Ubuntu 7.10 MBR trouble lilo/grub. I screwed up the MBR and get "L 99 99" Lilo

Discussion in 'Linux Discussion' started by dazed and confused, May 4, 2008.

1. errors-but Ubuntu uses grub Can't get either bootloader to install, only run into a series of errors.

For starters, under the old version of mandrake LILO was functional. I run the basic Ubuntu install, no special options and now it won't boot. I only get the L from lilo and a screen full of 99 99 99 which I found out means it's trying to use the first stage of LILO. Supposedly the standard for Ubuntu is Grub though, so lilo should be gone.

I am able to boot with the Ububtu Live disc. Is it possible I am trying to load to bootloaders onto a RAM disc created by the live CD to run the Graphical Desktop?

I have gotten as far as establishing settings but everytime I try to /sbin/grub or grub> setup (hd0)(or whatever does the mbr) or even the step in LILO where it writes to the MBR I seem to run into errors. I cannot perform lilo -u (from clean install). I have tried to run the Super-GrubCD mbr-fix, again errors. If i try the grub prompt where it looks for stage 1 it can't find it.
  2. Similar Threads: Ubuntu trouble
    Forum Title Date
    Linux Discussion Can i use the ubuntu linux commands on windows XP? Sep 11, 2008
    Linux Discussion How do I install Ubuntu 8.04 to my computer on a seperate partition but without the Jul 12, 2008
    Linux Discussion What is the best way to mount a remote drive on Ubuntu? Jul 6, 2008
    Linux Discussion How to connect to the interet with linux Ubuntu ? Jun 23, 2008
    Linux Discussion How do i uninstall ubuntu? I have xp as the master and ubuntu as slave? Jun 19, 2008
    Linux Discussion What is the difference between Ubuntu and Linux? Jun 4, 2008
    Linux Discussion Ubuntu On A Live CD, How Do You Do IT? Jun 1, 2008
    Linux Discussion I have a ubuntu pc and a xp laptop how do i make a wireless network with ubuntu... May 30, 2008
    Linux Discussion Ubuntu compiz effects? May 29, 2008
    Linux Discussion ubuntu 7.10? May 29, 2008

3. astazangasta Guest

astazangasta
    No install program will (or should) overwrite your MBR - that's a surefire way to end up in trouble. Ubuntu uses grub by default, but it won't overwrite some other configuration in your MBR unless you tell it to, I think. But it sounds like you're well past that stage. Try this how-to:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
  4. astazangasta Guest

astazangasta
    No install program will (or should) overwrite your MBR - that's a surefire way to end up in trouble. Ubuntu uses grub by default, but it won't overwrite some other configuration in your MBR unless you tell it to, I think. But it sounds like you're well past that stage. Try this how-to:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351