Ubuntu????

Discussion in 'Linux Discussion' started by FenderGuy204, May 4, 2008.

1. FenderGuy204 Guest

FenderGuy204
    Hello all,
    I was just wondering about Ubuntu Linux.
    I have Vista, and i share this computer with my family.
    I have my own windows account, but my question is; Can I download Ubuntu Linux Just for my account and still have vista and have it NOT affect anyother accounts? Is there a way i can download ubuntu to an icon, so when i click on the icon the OS takes over? http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition
    is ^this a small download for teh idea that i have or what?
    thx, sorry for the usage and spelling: im in a bit of a hurry here lol
    thx guys!
  2. Similar Threads: Ubuntu
    Forum Title Date
    Linux Discussion Can i use the ubuntu linux commands on windows XP? Sep 11, 2008
    Linux Discussion How do I install Ubuntu 8.04 to my computer on a seperate partition but without the Jul 12, 2008
    Linux Discussion What is the best way to mount a remote drive on Ubuntu? Jul 6, 2008
    Linux Discussion How to connect to the interet with linux Ubuntu ? Jun 23, 2008
    Linux Discussion How do i uninstall ubuntu? I have xp as the master and ubuntu as slave? Jun 19, 2008
    Linux Discussion What is the difference between Ubuntu and Linux? Jun 4, 2008
    Linux Discussion Ubuntu On A Live CD, How Do You Do IT? Jun 1, 2008
    Linux Discussion I have a ubuntu pc and a xp laptop how do i make a wireless network with ubuntu... May 30, 2008
    Linux Discussion Ubuntu compiz effects? May 29, 2008
    Linux Discussion ubuntu 7.10? May 29, 2008

3. Puppy fam Guest

Puppy fam
    Yes the other people are right. You could dual boot. But there is something simpler than dual booting, which is Wubi.

This is how Wubi would work. First you go to the Wubi website and download Wubi. Then you would go through the installer (this is really simple). Then after installing (this will take some time, so you may want to do it over night) all you have to do to go into Ubuntu is to restart the computer. When it starts up you can either go into Vista or Ubuntu.

If you have any questions about Wubi here is the faqs:http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php and here is the support page:http://wubi-installer.org/support.php

If you do not want wubi any more all you have to do is uninstall it.

One other thing:
    Some one said something about being careful and not to mess anything up. I completely agree. I have installed Wubi in XP and did not have any problems.
  4. Jim C Guest

Jim C
    You can install Ubuntu onto a seperate partition. When your computer boots up, a page looking like an old DOS page appears and asks you to select which operating system.... choice is Ubuntu (including a variety of safe Ubuntu versions) and Windows. You use the arrow keys on your keyboard to state which program you wish to load. Once you select window, you then go to the normal user page where you can select your users. You can also set up Ubuntu exactly the same way. Once you select Ubuntu as the operating system you wish to use on the boot up, you go to the user page and select which user wishes to log on.

Take care

Jim C.
  5. TBRMInsanity Guest

TBRMInsanity
    If you just want to try out Ubuntu first, you should use the LiveCD. That way you won't wreck Vista. As for using it full time you should install it as a separate partition (that is what I did) or install it in a virtual machine (VMWare is the best for Vista).

I currently use Ubuntu 7.10 and the only time I use Windows is when I want to play Sims2 or other graphic intense games. My whole family finds it easier to use over Windows and I like it because it is more secure. Best part is you can make it look anyway you want.
  6. Crystal W Guest

Crystal W
    Yes, you can do it using a dual-boot environment. You can find tips here http://www.linuxboards.org/showthread.php?t=2424
    Be careful if using a computher that others use. They may get mad if you mess something up. I suggest practicing on a test machine first until you fully understand the process.
  7. The Master Guest

The Master
    There is no real easy way to do that. The only way you do that is to download Qemu or get Vmware workstation (Vmware costs money though) and then you install it into a virtual disk then you can use ubuntu within windows. Unfortunately Qemu is much harder to use than Vmware. The only other thing to do is dual boot which is where you partition you disk and then put ubuntu in one partition and windows in the other.
  8. DarkApec Guest

DarkApec
    that would be fricken sweet, yes their is a way but... it is not effective the best way would be dual boot, otherwise you will have vista running in the background using 400-600mb of ram and then ubuntu going (unless you have 4gigs of ram i wouldnt suggest it)