What are the benefits of installing linux to playstation 3?

Discussion in 'Linux Discussion' started by crayonham, Jun 4, 2008.

1. crayonham Not Active

crayonham
    Is there anything cool i can do?
  2. Similar Threads: benefits installing
    Forum Title Date
    Linux Discussion How to installing modem in Redhat 9 Linux? Jun 30, 2008
    Linux Discussion Installing Unix with Windows XP? Jun 1, 2008

3. bulld066 Not Active

bulld066
    There really is no benefit, it just gives you geek cred.
  4. Cenobia Not Active

Cenobia
    It can play emulators.

I have SNES and NES emulators running on my PS3 and using my sixaxis through bluetooth. I'm even playing Chrono Trigger while waiting for MGS4.

You can also play more video files. Tthe PS3 can only play MP4, most AVI, etc, but by installing VLC on Linux you can view files that do not have PS3 compatible video/audio codecs. I honestly haven't done this, but know its possible.

The internet browser in Linux is also better. I use ububtu ppc though, so I can't get flash player (which restricts most online videos). I'm pretty sure other versions of Linux can use flash, though, and there are other programs that can take the place of adobe's flash player (none work vas well yet, though).

Mainly i use it for emulation and the internet. I would use it for video, but using my PC to stream files to my PS3s XMB is much easier. Most of my files are compatible with the PS3 anyway. I'm also a noob when it comes to Linux, so I don't know how to network my PC to it.

Here's a site that has the version of Linux I use (Ubuntu), plus install instructions and help. Research the alternate versions first because you may find that Yellow Dog or Fedora are better for what you want.

http://psubuntu.com
  5. scorpioelite Not Active

scorpioelite
    you have a slow computer on your tv. wow. not.
    if you have a computer, then stick with it. instlling linux is not the best thing you can do,
  6. Pls help me.

I have read your article and have one question to ask, would you pls Post your MSN to me?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Angelina Jolie Lose Weight because of serious Diabetes
  7. david443ffor Not Active

david443ffor
    guild wars gold

Where to buy cheap Guild Wars gold? Order your Guild wars Platinum, Platinum - Factions - Nightfall - Prophecies, 24/7 and enjoy instant delivery.