What is the redeeming social value in Borat? How is it good to deceive

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by mouthbreather77, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mouthbreather77 Not Active

mouthbreather77
    people in order to make money? How is it acceptable to insult Americans and smash up antique shops? Is this kind of behavior tolerated in any religion? Isn't Borat a giant exercise in entrapment and exploitation of Americans for the make benefit of Sacha Baron Cohen?
  2. young wifey~ Guest

young wifey~
    dude...be easy!

why u have to take it such way??

does all movie need any moral behind it..

no! we just wanna relax n sit back and laugh !!

if all movies need moral value..dude! tht will be hella boooooooorinnnnnnnnnnnng
  3. freedom fighter Not Active

freedom fighter
    i didn't see the movie. don't want to the movie and your right he is the one benefiting from such a movie a gets away w/ it b/c we as a society like to see others being humilated whether it for a profit or not. our society has become depraved.
  4. ddot2882 Not Active

ddot2882
    I am not sure anyone thinks there is a redeeming social value in this movie. I think it meant to be crude and socially unacceptable - just like all of Sasha Baron Cohen's characters. Although I did think a few parts were funny, most of it was way out of line and insulting. I think because he insults everyone and not just one religion or belief, he gets away with it. So shocked it was nominated for ANY award, let alone an Oscar. Just goes to show how liberal Hollywood really is.
  5. deni Guest

deni
    For years americans have made movies where
    germans were bad
    russians were bad
    chinese were bad
    lately arabs
    italians were superficial or mafiosos
    frech were always cheating on their wives/husbands
    etc. etc. etc
    the whole world was presented a stereotype of one thing or another ... historical, social or cultural facts were never relevant - and i don't remember anybody making a fuss over it. . . bottom line is it's just entertainment ....

nobody likes to be made fun of, but then again everybody likes a good joke ... maybe this time the joke was on Americans, next time it might be Paraguayians (whatever the spelling) ... i don't like horror movies, that's why i don't watch them, if you don't like S.B. Cohen's movies don't go see them, nice and simple... at least your bucks won't go into his pocket
    deni,
  6. ?Sally? Guest

?Sally?
    It was the particular Americans he chose to insult that made a statement. Those were the ones who deserved what they got and really, they made fools of themselves by showing their true colors, especially the bigot in charge at the rodeo as well as the rodeo audience when they HEARTILY CHEERED the idea of killing all men, women and children in Iraq. THEY CHEERED!

They deserved what they got, no matter who made money from the film.
  7. Rebecca Guest

Rebecca
    yes it is not right, but i guess that is what some people will do to make a good movie, and it was a good movie.
  8. Hunter S Not Active

Hunter S
    Don't think too much into it. After all it is entertainment. I don't think he's trying to start a revolution against the United States. I think he does a good job of showing the world the cultural diiferences among us.