why/how did you become a webmaster?

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Chat' started by hitman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    why or how did you become a webmaster? for me, i found an ebook on ebay selling for a lot(those trick police auction ones) so then i got into trying to sell ebooks.Then i made a rubbish site on a sub domain to sell ebooks.I managed to trade a package of ebook for a domain name.I then said if someone installed a script for me, i would split my profits 50/50.after a while though he started to help me with it, it was a games site which got hacked, so we started a new project which is the same site i have today,which started in september last year

so thats kind of a meaningless life story but i felt like writing down my random thoughts.

im sure you guys should have much shorter stories
  2. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    I a round about way i suppose ebay got me into being a webmaster to be honest, ive always be in to computers and was and IT engineer for 6 years, i used to make quite a bit of money on ebay with a IT support CD that i created for support engineers (now well out of date) it wasnt like the other shitty ones that just supplied you with rubbish anyone could find, any how i started experimenting with making money online, yes i tried the ebook thing and then an ebook got me into affiliate marketing with Poker signups which i also made big money on but only because i got all my mates to sign up through my account and at $200 a sign up its easy to make money fast.

After that i knew quite about about how webmasters worked and decided to start up my hobby and my one true passion of being a webmaster which was my Tottenham site. Still today my most successful site in terms of SEO (with qdoos and AU catching fast) and a constant flow of traffic with out me doing anything anymore, hopefully qdoos and AU will have that one day too
  3. Iearn-Money Qdoos Contributor

Iearn-Money
    Well I supposed to have small websites before, but my problem was in getting traffic, after days and days I've been googling about methods to earn traffic, I read lots of articles and tips, strategies... So I decided to be a real webmaster, and create new websites and keep them alive for a long time, my goals now is to be that webmaster who has a big, popular, nice website!
  4. Ramage Not Active

Ramage
    I started a couple years back when I won a years free hosting and a domain name from a local technology magazine. I heavily modified a free php directory script and went on from there :p
  5. Midwest Super Moderator

Midwest
    Simply put, I've became a webmaster ( and blogger, too ) more out of sheer curiosity and thanks to a web designing software you all know: Microsoft Frontpage. At first, I was creating sites just for fun, without thinking to publish them on the World Wide Web. But once I've bought a subscription to a local ISP from my town and started to surf the web, I thought I'd be nice to try and explore more the world of webmasters..and bloggers :) That's pretty much my story ;)
  6. Asad Qdoos Contributor

Asad
    My story is too long!!!

1 Year Ago!! I saw a Ad on some sports news site and it was "Earn Money Online By Clicking Simple Ads". Now, I clicked that ad and it was of Bux.to. Then, I started clicking there ads and it went on uptill I reached 10$. Then, I went to request a Payout, but, they said that they need a PayPal account. Then, I signed up on PayPal and got to know what PayPal is. After that, I requested Payout, but, I was not paid even after a month. Then, I thought that it was scam and search for many more on Google. I got a survey site and I worked with them. I requested a Payout at 150$ and they too scammed me.

Then... I searched for LEGAL MONEY MAKING PROGRAMS and one site had a list of that. I saw AdSense in that and this is where my life started. I signed up for AdSense but they required a site. Then, I made a blog at Blogger and xxxx..................................................................................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am at Qdoos replying this thread....
    Asad,
  7. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    you started making websites for fun but not publishing? thats a bit strange, but come to think of it i should try making some just for a bit of practice, but problem is i have no skills, i could only add text hyperlinks and pictures and stuff - im trying to get some ebooks on scripts and coding and stuff at the moment
  8. dvduval New Member

dvduval
    For me, I would say the most important part of my growth was the people I came to know. I could have never done what I have done myself, but now I can do just about anything with the help of the people I know and trust.
  9. Fuzzer Qdoos Contributor

Fuzzer
    Hitman i was the same as you, 1 tip i will give you is play with CMS i.e Wordpress, drupal, joomla.

Learn by playing and teaching your self, you've got hosting so have a play and set some up on subdomains. As soon as you get used to knowing the usual names like MySql, local host , htaccess, mod rewrite and many more you will find you will know alot more than you think. I know its basic things but you dont need to be able to code or design to get some where as a webmaster, you can modify exciting templates to look like unique designs and everything. Once you start you'll learn the harder stuff.

I would actually recommend getting an old PHPbb2 forum script and get a bunch of mods, installing mod the old way and paying attention to the code while doing it will get you on the right tracking providing your a fast learner.

And as dvduval said the people you meet along the way will be the people that help you make it to the next level, i couldnt have done what i have with out people helping me along the way.
  10. Hafsoh Qdoos Contributor

Hafsoh
    I am quite new in the industry, my hubby is a webmaster so i normally help him in promoting some of the sites, from there got influenced.
  11. hitman Qdoos Contributor

hitman
    thanks riverwire,

yeah, nobody makes it as a webmaster without help,my partner i work with on my site also said the best way to learn was just to have a mess about on a spare page on my site so long as i backed up nbefore changing anything